Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Internet Superhero


   My name is Zack Morris (yes, like the 90's television show that ruined my life). I am studying PR and communications at Slippery Rock University. Technically I am a senior but due to completing my internship next fall I will be graduating in the Fall of 2015. Hockey is my life and I play club inline hockey for Slippery Rock. In addition, I am an avid Penguins fan along with many other NHL teams. I am a Penguins blogger for a site called "Heyyyyy Fannnssss." I love baseball, football, and golf as well. I aspire to be a public relations director for the Penguins after graduating from Slippery Rock. Although I know it'll take working many small jobs and for minor league teams to get there, I'm willing to do what it takes to obtain my dream job. I live in Pittsburgh but was adopted from Russia. I came to the United States when I was just 10 months old but I will always be proud of my Russian heritage.

Formal 2013
To be honest, I'm a Twitter superhero and you can find me there. I usually tweet way too much about hockey, life or food. Also, I am #TeamFollowBack so follow me. As for Facebook, although it is still a big social media site, I feel its use has declined, especially for myself with the evolution of Twitter and other applications that are geared towards microblogging and getting news on the go. I love blogging, I blog for a site called Heyyyyy Fannnssss, which is all about the Pittsburgh Penguins. If you're a Pens fan and want all things Penguins such as podcasts, game previews, recaps and interesting facts and opinions please give us a follow!

This semester I decided to take New-Media Journalism in order to see what the word "new" media implied. Also, I wanted to learn how to improve my blogging skills and learn what being a "backpack" journalist is all about. I am really looking forward to the class activities coming up and how they will benefit my writing and knowledge in the long-run. For all of our classworks check our Facebook page or if you're on twitter search the hashtag #nmjatsru.

Slippery Rock Hockey 2014
In terms of a traditional news media outlets, I think ABC News is the best. I like ABC because unlike with Fox News and CNN, there is little to no bias, and the stories are presented in a factual manner instead of trying to sway a viewer to either the Republican or Democrat side. It's what Fox News claims to be "fair and balanced", except in my opinion it actually is "fair and balanced." Although I am not one to sit down and watch the news, and most of the news I do get is off Twitter from certain reporters in the cities the stories take place. For example, when the Ferguson ordeal happened, I followed a Ferguson, Missouri reporter on Twitter versus going through the national outlets that will often show bias.

In terms of a new-media outlet, I think Google news is the best. I say this because I like how all the Google features link together such as Blogger, News, YouTube and Drive (just to name a few). I like the ability to quickly share the stories I read to my Twitter or Facebook feed but also be able to throw the news into my Google Drive folder to have it for later. Basically for me Google facilitates the process of getting information and storing it somewhere useful as well as having one Google account for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment